Recipe by ladypit
I found this recipe online in a compilation of crock pot recipes. I have tweaked it heavily to my own dietary needs. This is a lovely creamy soup, but not one with a lot of zing. This would be best for someone looking for subtle flavors. It is almost like mashed sweet potatoes. I tried it with a dollop of fat free sour cream but I did not like that as much as leaving it alone. If you don't have enough broth just make up the difference with water. It worked fine.
Top Review by Sandra E.
Yum Yum! I did as most other reviewers suggested and played with this a bit. I used 5 sweet potatoes, 1 onion, 1 apple, 1 can of condensed chicken stock and topped up with water. once it all cooked, I removed a lot of liquid (I was worried it would be too runny, and always easier to add liquid back in). I added it back until I got the consistency I liked (I also added cream to taste/consistency). And a nice big sprinkle of all spice. It was a huge hit at our Thanksgiving lunch. My almost 1 yr old daughter loved it too!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and slice the sweet potatoes. Put them and the broth into your slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for about 3 hours or until the potatoes are tender.
- Put the sweet potatoes and broth into a food processor (or use an immersion blender) and blend until smooth.
- Put them back into the crock pot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 to 2 hours (I left mine 3.5 and it was fine).