Recipe by Jainene
I found this recipe on a low-carb forum when Googling different low-carb websites--it sounds crazy, but the end result is amazing! To quote the original post: "This makes a wonderful hamburger bun, it tastes like a whole wheat bun. It's very sturdy and holds up well with all the juiciness of a hamburger with all the fixings." Note: you may need to add more ground flaxseed/flaxseed meal--the consistently of the "stuff" pre-microwaved should be thick and sort of pasty, like brownie batter, not liquidy.
Top Review by Peachie Keene
I feel like I just found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I mean come on: 12 grams of protein and 8 grams of dietary fiber per bun, wow! Now, let me tell you, applesauce is a decent substitute for butter in bread like recipes (quick breads, muffins, etc.) - Though to test this hypothesis, and so I didn't risk giving this recipe a faulty review, I made it both ways. Both turned out equally as moist and bouncy; although, they varied in taste ever so slightly. If you are a health-nut (in training) like I am, forgo the butter and use an equal measurement of applesauce. Also be aware of the bowl size you use: the width at the largest point of your bowl will likely be the size of your bun. I used this for the Recipe #410472. Made for PAC Spring 2010.
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- 1⁄2 pinch salt
- 1 extra large egg
- 4 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients together in a microwave safe bowl or container.
- Put the bowl/container in the microwave and nuke for 1 minute or until center is set.
- It will billow up in the bowl.
- Leave it in the bowl for another minute then turn it out on a cooling rack and let it cool.
- Once it has cooled take a long bread knife and slice the bun in half and make your hamburger as usual.