Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the California Heritage Cookbook Prepare 24 hours in advance
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Mix butter, 1 cup sugar and lemon extract.
- Beat the eggs into the butter mixture.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- To the butter mixture, add the flour mixture alternately with the milk beating just enough to blend.
- Fold in lemon rind and pecans.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° oven for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- While the bread is baking, mix the lemon juice and 1/2 cup sugar (Lemon Pour).
- While the bread is still warm, drizzle the Lemon Pour over the top.
- Remove loaf from pan, wrap in foil and store 1 day before serving.
This had a fluffy, dense texture, with a pronounced lemon flavor (much more the next day). My father in law loved it. Thanks Diane, for posting. Roxygirl