Recipe by madcowjen
A very healthy and tasty dish. I was looking for a dish to include smoked mackerel and stumbled upon this recipe. Great with Cous Cous as a main meal.
Top Review by Moor Driver
A delicious, fast & healthy meal! I bet leftover roast chicken could be subbed for the mackerel as well. I love the mackerel though. Next time I will make it with butter beans. yum.
- 355 g ready to eat smoked mackerel, skinned and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 (8 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 250 g mixed beans e.g red kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
Directions See How It's Made
- heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion and garlic until soft and transparent.
- stir in the tomatoes, tomato puree, vinegar, sugar and bay leaf - bring to the boil.
- season and stir in the beans.
- Cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- stir in the fish, cover and cook until piping hot, approximately 5 minutes.
- serve with cous cous or chunky french bread.