Recipe by jennifer in new jersey
Super healthy soup recipe I found from "World's Healthiest Foods" website. "Very quick and easy to prepare. Lots of flavor high in vegetable protein without being high in fat; good vegetarian meal on a cold day." To be sure it is truly healthy, be sure to use organic or all natural broths and even spices as many contain msg and/or preservatives.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) canorganic red kidney beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the 1TB broth in medium sized soup pot.
- Gently sautee onion in broth over medium heat for five minutes until translucent stirring frequently.
- Add carrots, garlic and celery and sautee for another minute.
- Add 3C broth, tomato paste, beans and spices.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low and simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- While waiting, prepare the yogurt by combining yogurt, lime juice and cilantro in separate bowl.
- Blend soup in blender (or preferred method of pureeing soup) but if using blender be sure to start on a low speed so soup does not erupt and burn you. Also be sure to only fill blender half full.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Reheat, pour into serving bowls and top with the yogurt and serve.