1/1 Photo of Very Healthy Near Instant Baked Apple With Creamy Nonfat Yogurt
Ethan UK's Note:
My healthy take on a classic favourite - except when I want it I don't want to wait and I don't want any excessive sugar or fat. There are hundreds of variations on this for some reason or other - I think it must be one of our favourite comfort foods, second to chocolate of course! This one takes almost no time at all and is almost entirely fat free and with no sugar except the fructose of the apple itself - well ok maybe a bit of maltose in the yoghurt too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash and dry a large apple - any variety.
- 2Cut in half.
- 3Remove core and stalk section from each half.
- 4Place in a microwaveable bowl.
- 5Sprinkle apples liberally with cinnamon.
- 6Sprinkle apples with ground cloves - cloves are very strong-flavoured so be careful not to go too heavy!
- 7Spoon half a teaspoon or so of nonfat natural (plain) yogurt onto each half, mixing it across the surface of each half so the top area is well covered in the spicy yoghurt.
- 8Cook in microwave on full power until apple is nicely soft for about 2 minutes (microwaves vary - maybe more or less depending on your machine).
- 9Sprinkle half a large half-teaspoon of granulated sweetener over the baked apples.
- 10Place a generous teaspoonful of nonfat Greek-Style (strained & stirred) natural (plain) yogurt onto each half.
- 11Sprinkle a generous half teaspoonful of granulated sweetener directly onto each blob of Greek-style yogurt and mix it into it a bit with the back of the spoon.
- 14I make my own batches of natural non-fat yoghurt (here in the UK, natural yoghurt = USA plain yogurt). Sometimes I strain and stir part of a batch so I have a choice between normal thickness yoghurt and what we in the UK call "Greek-style" which is strained and stirred extra-thick, for different uses. I suggest two types here because the runnier sort smoothes over things more easily when appropriate. If you only keep one type then use whatever you have - it will be just fine :).
- 15Here's a handy tip for fresh ground clove -- I keep two sets of grinders/mills in use. In one mill I grind my peppercorns, another one I use for Fenugreek (mehti), in another I grind all-spice and lastly I grind whole cloves in the remaining one. I'm sure there are other spices that would work just as well in spare/extra mills but that does me for now! (I don't use salt, ever. I slum it and use Lo-Salt in small quantities if I absolutely must!).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Very Healthy Near Instant Baked Apple With Creamy Nonfat Yogurt
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 61.1
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 8.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 0.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: