Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mom always liked coming up with extremely healthy meals for my brother and I when we were kids. This slightly modified version of her muffin recipe is one of my favorites. The types of nut butter and flour used can be changed to taste and the blueberries can be replaced with other berries, chocolate chips, or whatever you prefer.
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup nut butter (peanut and almond both work well)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 -5 bananas (the riper the better)
- 3 cups flour (wheat, whole wheat, or barley)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 cups blueberries (or other filling)
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup macadamia nuts (chopped) (optional)
- Put the water, nut butter, salt, and bananas in a blender and blend until well mixed (can also be mixed by hand, though it takes longer).
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl and add the flour and baking powder. Mix moderately well.
- Add the blueberries (and the nuts if wanted) and mix well.
- Place the batter in a muffin tin (there should be enough to fill a standard 12 muffin tin). A large spoon or a moderate sized ice cream scoop work well.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place the tin in the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes.
I did follow the recipe pretty much, using peanut butter, whole wheat flour & blueberries! And although I did include nuts, I substituted pistachios for the macadamia ones, & we had some VERY TASTY, SATISFYING MUFFINS! Next time, though, I'd like to try a different flour, just to see how they compare! Thanks for sharing your recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC tag]