Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Recipe by Anna Thomas featured in EatingWell Sept/Oct 2011
Make and share this Very Green Lentil Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons water, plus
- 4 cups water, divided
- 1 cup green lentils or 1 cup brown lentils
- 8 large chard leaves
- 1 medium yukon gold potato, scrubbed
- 10 ounces spinach leaves, any tough stems removed
- 4 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed, toasted and ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint, chopped
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, minced
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (to taste)
- feta cheese, crumbled for garnish
- Heat 2 T oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add onions and 1/4 t salt; cook, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add 2 T water and cover. Cook, stirring frequently until the pan cools down, and then occasionally, always covering the pan again, until the onions are greatly reduced and have a deep caramel color, 25-35 minutes.
- MEANWHILE, rinse lentils and pick out any small stones; combine the lentils with the remaining 4 cups water in a soup pot or dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Trim the white ribs out of the chard; chop the greens and slice the ribs (keep in separate piles). Cut potato into 1/2-inch dice. Chop spinach; set aside.
- When the lentils have cooked for 20 minutes, stir in the chard ribs, potato, scallions, broth and the remaining 1t salt; return to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chard leaves, broccoli, cumin and coriander. When the onions are caramelized, stir a little of the simmering liquid into them, add them to the soup. Return to a simmer, cover and cook 5 minutes more. Stir in the reserved spinach, cilantro, mint, jalapeno ad pepper; return to a simmer, cover and cook until the spinach is tender but still bright green, about 5 minutes more. Stir in 1T lemon juice. Taste and add more lemon juice and/or pepper, if desired.
- Garnish each bowl of soup with crumbled feta cheese.