Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Mmmm, nothing like a good bowl of veg soup! This is the famous Indian Chef Sanjeev Kapoor's recipe. Like him, I believe that good soup is easy to make if you take care to choose the freshest ingredients, especially those that are in season. Beautifully garnished, any soup would look as pretty as a bride with a veil over her charming face;-) Add a few croutons in the centre of your soup for a contrasting texture and a complementary flavour! Scoop up your soup from a special cook with a wonderous look, looking up from his favourite cookbook(Ah I'm in a Scooby Dooby good mood n playing with words;-) )
- 1 medium carrot, washed, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 small cabbage, washed and finely shredded
- 4 -6 medium tinned mushrooms, drained, cleaned, washed and sliced
- 1 medium red capsicum, washed, de-seeded and chopped (bell pepper)
- 1 medium tomatoes, washed, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 4 -5 cups vegetable stock (I love using 2 cubes of Maggi Vegetable stock with onions)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 cup bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- Firstly, prepare vegetable stock.
- For this, dissolve 2 cubes of Maggi vegetable stock with onions in 4-5 cups of water and boil until the cubes are completely dissolved.
- Your veg.
- stock is ready.
- Now keep this aside and proceed.
- Heat oil in a saucepan.
- Add carrot, cabbage and mushrooms and stir well.
- Add capsicum, tomato and salt.
- Stir-cook for 10-15 minutes till the veggies are tender.
- Then, add the stock and let it come to a boil.
- Lower heat, stir in the crushed peppercorns and remove from flame.
- Add bean sprouts and lemon juice.
- Stir well and serve hot on a cold windy winter night.
Thanks Charishma for a wonderful veggie soup! Excellent on a cold day like today. I added some hot chiles and some curry powder. Nice and spicy!
This really IS very good soup! I like the addition of bean sprouts and the lemon juice gives it such a fresh kick. I also used fresh mushrooms which I sauteed slightly before adding. One other substitution I made was to use some tomato sauce instead of the fresh tomato, because I didn't have any. Will make this soup often because it's so yummy and good for your health, too! The only change I may make is to add a bit of minced jalapeno or other hot pepper cause I just love my soup spicy. Great soup, Char!!
Very good soup and although I used the ingredients mentioned, I think this can be very adaptable to whatever vegetablle you have on hand. I made a few minor changes however by using canned broth (1 can vegetable and 1 can chicken broth) and fresh mushrooms. I also used quite a bit more mushrooms and bean sprouts than mentioned in the ingredients. Next time I will add an onion, which I forgot and some garlic. We had this with Heath Grain Bread recipe#58227 for a very wholesome supper. Thanks Char for sharing this wonderful soup recipe which we will be having again.