Prep 24 hrs
Cook 25 mins
How about trying this the coming year for an Easter sand (that's French for 'without') eggs? Indulge and Enjoy! This recipe comes from the FOOD column by Shoba Hejmadi, Weekend magazine.
- 400 g flour
- 100 g sugar
- 150 g butter
- 200 g whipping cream
- 10 g baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 20 g raisins
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- Sieve the flour with the baking powder in a bowl and keep aside.
- Now, use a wooden spoon to soften the butter and combine the same with the sugar until they are thoroughly mixed.
- Stir in the cinnamon, vanilla bean and lemon zest.
- Now, fold in the flour.
- Once this is half mixed, add the cream and continue to mix the dough until it is all combined and holds together.
- Mix in the raisins.
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of 1 inch.
- Use a cutter to cut 10 round scones from it.
- Place the scones on a greased baking tray.
- Allow them to rest, covered, in a refrigerator, overnight.
- Bake the scones (cold as they are from the refrigerator) in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 20-25 minutes or until golden and done.
- Serve warm with fresh Devonshire cream and strawberry jam.