Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I created this recipe using some ideas from other of chicken and rice casseroles that I found. This turned out so delicious that my family raved about it and and insisted that I add it to my tried and true recipe collection.
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken or 4 cups turkey
- 2 packages cooked 10-minute Success rice
- 3⁄4 cup diced celery
- 3⁄4 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can mushrooms or 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can diced green chilis
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon season salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup fine corn flake crumbs
- Saute celery and onions in butter.
- Mix together soup, mayonnaise, sour cream, mushrooms, chilies, celery, onions and seasonings.
- Spread 1 pkg.
- of the cooked rice on the bottom of a buttered 9x13 pan.
- Cover with 2 cups of the chicken.
- Spread 1/2 of the soup mixture over chicken.
- Repeat layers.
- Top with cheese and corn flake crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees F.
- for 30-40 minutes.
Made this with some left over turkey from Easter. It was goood. I used 4 cups of cooked rice instead of success rice, used fresh mushrooms and left off the cornflake crumbs. I would make this again but with changes...I would leave out the celery although good with it, it gave it an oriental flavor to me. I would also cut it in half as it's just my husband and I and this makes a full casserole dish. Thank you Marla for posting this recipe.
This casserole was delicious. I substituted fat free sour cream, low fat cream of mushroom soup and low fat mayonnaise and nobody could tell. It was even good the next day! Great and tasty recipe--thanks!
Thanks for suggesting this. I was one of our meat casseroles for the dinner party. Our friend Gary almost wouldn't let anyone else have any. He said it reminded him of one his mother used to make. I did make 1 change, I used a combination of cheese crackers and saltines. I also used fresh mushrooms. I was fantastic. Thanks so much. Its a keeper.