Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
From the Young Times magazine. This is Chef Sanjeev Kapoor's recipe.
Top Review by Paul Bissette
I have been trying to find a recipe for my favourite Chinese dish from my local restaurant, 'Salted Chilli Chicken' but can't find one anywhere. So I refined the search thinking that maybe around the world it's called something different and searched on 'Chilli Chicken'. That led me to this recipe for 'Very Flavourful Chinese Honey Chilli Chicken'. Reading through the recipe, it didn't look like the same dish but not being an expert who am I to tell? So, 'let's give it a bash', I thought, and did! Firstly, I read through the recipe and felt that for the amount of chicken in the dish, four green chilli peppers would be far too hot for my taste so I did modify a little. I used a pre-bought red pepper taste and added one sliced red pepper in place. Everything else was as per the recipe. Oh yes, except I added a few sliced mushrooms and half an onion! (Sorry folks, I do this to all the recipes I see, adapt and conquer! he he). So how did it tase? Wonderful. There are a number of subtle flavours that run through the dish and I am thankful I didn't use as many chillis as I suspect that would overpower the dish, but of course it's each to his/her own. So, all in all, I would certainly use this recipe again, and would also seek out more recipes from Charishma Ramchandani regards Paul Bissette
- 500 g chicken, boneless
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch or 1⁄2 cup cornflour
- 4 -5 cloves garlic
- 2 -3 green chilies
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil, and to fry
- 4 -6 whole red chilies
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and dry the chicken pieces.
- Cut into 1 inch sized cubes.
- Marinate the chicken pieces in a mixture of 1 Tablespoon soy sauce, salt, egg and 1 Tablespoon cornflour for 10 minutes.
- Peel and crush garlic finely.
- Remove stems, wash and chop the green chillies finely.
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Deep fry the chicken pieces in hot oil till light brown.
- Drain and keep aside.
- De-stem and break red chillies into two.
- Grind these alongwith vinegar in a blender to obtain a paste; keep aside.
- Heat a Tablespoon of oil in a wok.
- Add garlic and green chillies.
- Stir-fry for a few seconds.
- Add soy sauce.
- Mix well.
- Add sugar, black pepper powder and red chilli paste.
- Add a cup of water.
- Stir well.
- Add the fried chicken pieces and mix well.
- Add the remaining cornstarch after dissolving it in half a cup of water.
- Stir in honey.
- Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with Chinese fried rice or Vegetarian Nasi Goreng (Fried Rice) (Recipe Number:44512).