Recipe by Inge 1505
This is a very nice, easily prepared cake. It tastes good still slightly warm or the next day. I serve it with whipped cream sweetened with vanilla sugar. The recipe is from one of the most popular German books on baking "Backen macht Freude" (baking makes joy?). I hope, you will enjoy it with a cup of coffee or tea or milk or whatever you like.
For the topping
- 2 lbs small tart apples
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄8 cup raisins (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (30 grams)
For the batter
- 9 tablespoons butter, at room temperature (125 grams)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (150 grams)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon zest
- 3 small eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, plus
- 5 tablespoons flour (225 grams)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
For the glaze
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease 11 inch springform.
- Preheat oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- For the topping: Peel, quarter and core apples.
- Make lengthwise cuts on the outer rounded side 1/8 inch apart, so that the apple quarter still holds together but will cook quicker.
- Brush with lemon juice to avoid browning.
- For the batter: Mix flour with baking powder.In a bowl cream butter with sugar, vanilla and lemon peel with a mixer.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- Beat until mixture turns light yellow and has increased in volume.
- Add half of the flour and 1 tbs milk, mixing just until blended.
- Add rest of flour.
- Dough should have the consistency to drop slowly and heavily from a spoon, forming long tips.
- If too firm add another tbs of milk, if to soft add another tbs of flour.
- Mix to blend.
- Pour batter into greased form.
- Make a level surface with a wet spatula.
- Arrange apple quarters rounded side up on the dough to make a nice pattern,but leave a 1/2 inch rim along the side of your form.
- Apples will sink into dough while baking.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Sprinkle with raisins (optional).
- Put in the middle of the oven.
- Bake for 40-50 min at 350°F, until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven.
- Melt apricot jam with water over low heat, pass through a sieve and brush the hot cake with it.
- Remove cake from the springform,let cool and serve with whipped cream.