1/6 Photos of Very Fine German Apple Cake
1 hr 35 mins
Inge 1505's Note:
This is a very nice, easily prepared cake. It tastes good still slightly warm or the next day. I serve it with whipped cream sweetened with vanilla sugar. The recipe is from one of the most popular German books on baking "Backen macht Freude" (baking makes joy?). I hope, you will enjoy it with a cup of coffee or tea or milk or whatever you like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the topping
- 2 lbs small tart apples
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 cup raisins (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (30 grams)
For the batter
- 9 tablespoons butter, at room temperature (125 grams)
- 3/4 cup sugar (150 grams)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon zest
- 3 small eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour, plus
- 5 tablespoons flour (225 grams)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
For the glaze
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1Grease 11 inch springform.
- 2Preheat oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- 3For the topping: Peel, quarter and core apples.
- 4Make lengthwise cuts on the outer rounded side 1/8 inch apart, so that the apple quarter still holds together but will cook quicker.
- 5Brush with lemon juice to avoid browning.
- 6For the batter: Mix flour with baking powder.In a bowl cream butter with sugar, vanilla and lemon peel with a mixer.
- 7Add eggs, one at a time.
- 8Beat until mixture turns light yellow and has increased in volume.
- 9Add half of the flour and 1 tbs milk, mixing just until blended.
- 10Add rest of flour.
- 11Dough should have the consistency to drop slowly and heavily from a spoon, forming long tips.
- 12If too firm add another tbs of milk, if to soft add another tbs of flour.
- 13Mix to blend.
- 14Pour batter into greased form.
- 15Make a level surface with a wet spatula.
- 16Arrange apple quarters rounded side up on the dough to make a nice pattern,but leave a 1/2 inch rim along the side of your form.
- 17Apples will sink into dough while baking.
- 18Brush with melted butter.
- 19Sprinkle with raisins (optional).
- 20Put in the middle of the oven.
- 21Bake for 40-50 min at 350°F, until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- 22Remove cake from oven.
- 23Melt apricot jam with water over low heat, pass through a sieve and brush the hot cake with it.
- 24Remove cake from the springform,let cool and serve with whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Very Fine German Apple Cake
Serving Size: 1 (284 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 824.8
- Calories from Fat 319
- Total Fat 35.5 g
- Saturated Fat 21.1 g
- Cholesterol 201.8 mg
- Sodium 527.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 120.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 65.6 g
- Protein 10.5 g