Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this recipe from About.com while try to put together a cookbook for my daughter to take to college. Only 5 ingredients!
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups ricotta cheese
- 28 ounces pasta sauce
- 9 no-boil lasagna noodles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook sausage in a heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring to break up meat, until no longer pink, about 8 minutes.
- Mix cooked sausage, 1-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese and ricotta cheese in medium bowl.
- Place about 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce in a 9 inch sqaure baking pan.
- Top with 3 noodles, then 1/3 of the sausage mixture.
- Repeat layers, ending with the spaghetti sauce. Cover with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and return to oven.
- Bake, uncovered for 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted and slightly browned.
This was my first time ever making lasagna, I have been afraid to try it on my own for some time now! I made a few changes and it turned out fantastically. With regards to the actual making of it, the only change I made was to put a half of cup of Marinara sauce in the ricotta, mozzarella and beef mixture in a bowl. Here's what I substituted (I'm only putting it out here so that others know what they can do if they make it or they want to do it with beef and a little less cal, as I did!) I used the noodles you have to cook beforehand, as I've had lasagna with pre-cooked noodles and, for me personally, doesn't taste the same. the sausage for 1 pound of lean ground beef the ricotta for skim ricotta the mozzarella for weight watchers/fat free mozzarella My only mistake is I bought only one package of mozzarella, and I did NOT have enough to sprinkle on the top. Thankfully it's only for me, so presentation is not my main concern, but if you were to make this and if I were to make this for a family dinner or a party, I would have bought two packages of mozzarella! I didn't let it cool after it was out of the oven, which was my mistake so some of it turned out to be very hard to get out of the pan. However, I covered it in my fridge over night with foil and then made individual pieces for my current work week. Thank you SO much! This was really easy and I am recommending to all my friends !
My ten yr old made this with very little help. I was Great.
This was a fantastic lasagna recipe! The only change that I made was to use ground turkey that I added Italian seasonings and garlic powder to. I served this with bread sticks for a yummy late lunch. Thanks so much for posting! Made for 12 Days of Christmas recipe swap.