Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe comes straight from Goa and was a favorite family Sunday lunch my Mother adopted into our North Indian eating habits when family friends and family would gather together. Vindaloo is best when meat is marinated overnight with the spices and kept overnight after cooking before serving. The longer it is kept the more the Vindaloo matures in flavor. In our home Vindaloo was cooked in 6 lb batches. I have simplified it down to 2 lb or one kg. Keeping the fat on the meat is very important as the fat is considered a delicacy. I buy a kg pork roast and cube the meat. Slightly freezing the meat helps cut the meat easily. The Vindaloo is traditionally red chili very hot. I use a coffee grinder to grind or powder my dry spices.
- 1 kg pork, with fat, cubed in 1 to 2 inch squares
- 12 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 2 inches ginger, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons sugar or 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon red chili pepper flakes, ground
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons black mustard seeds, ground (found at Indian Grocery store)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black cardamom pods, ground
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar or 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 2 sprigs curry, patta (optional)
- Rinse pork cubes well and place directly in bowl. Do not pat meat dry.
- Add and mix all other above ingredients well together with pork, cover and keep in fridge overnight.
- Turn all the meat and remaining liquid into cooking pot on high heat. As soon as it comes to a boil lower heat, cover with fitting lid and simmer on slow fire for 1 hour in its own juices.
- Stir every 15 minutes to make sure bottom is not burning. At the end of 45 minutes, taste to ensure meat is tender. As soon as it is cooked turn off the stove and let vindaloo cool in pot.
- Keep overnight, heat and serve the next day with white rice and sliced onions sprinkled with salt.
- 8 whistles on high heat if you are cooking in a pressure cooker, turn off stove and let cool in closed cooker.