Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This soup is sweet and mild and filled with enough vegetables for one meal, so serve it with a peppery little salad for contrast. This is another Moosewood cookbook original!
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon other vegetable oil
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 cup peeled and diced carrot
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced potatoes
- 3 cups water or 3 cups basic light vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 ounces neufchatel cheese or 2 ounces cream cheese
- In a large soup pot on medium heat, sauté the onions in the butter and oil for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the celery, cover, and cook until just soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, water or stock, thyme, bay leaf, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil; then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes.
- With a strainer or slotted spoon, remove about 1 1/2 cups of the cooked vegetables and set aside in a blender or food processor.
- Add the green beans, bell peppers, and zucchini to the soup pot and cook until the green beans are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the peas and parsley, simmer for 2 more minutes, and then remove from the heat.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Puree the reserved vegetables with the milk and cheeses to make a smooth sauce.
- Stir the sauce into the soup and gently reheat.
- Serve hot.
OH MAN,This soup is still dancing across my tongue!!Even though I have every other vegetarian cook book known to man (so my DH says),I don't have the classic, Moosewood.I can see I really am going to have to get it!!Thanks for posting this WONDERFUL soup,Tish!!
totally yummy and best veggie chowder ever! serving size is really 4 main dish bowls or 8 side dish bowls. 2 c onions = 1 medium-large onion; 1 c carrot = 2 carrots; 1.5 c potatoes = 2 medium potatoes; 1 c zucchini = 1 small zucchini. If use maggie brand veggie stock dilute it as it's too strong/salty by itself. Less salt is ok if using veggie stock instead of water. Canned green beans is fine but add them when adding the peas. Can add any other veggies, but rsuggest add 1/2 c. chopped mushrooms when add peas. Use sharp cheddar cheese, shredded is fine instead of grated. Serve with crusty french bread, garlic bread, cornbread, or sandwhiches (like egg salad).
Update- this has now become my favourite soup. I make a pot on Sunday and freeze some (yes it freezes fine) and use it through the week. Thank you! mmmm I thought this was lovely, YUM YUM YUM. Thanks for this great recipe. I just added some mushrooms and some chilli flakes as well. Really really good! Will be making this loads :-)