1/3 Photos of Very Creamy Vegetable Chowder a la Moosewood
This soup is sweet and mild and filled with enough vegetables for one meal, so serve it with a peppery little salad for contrast. This is another Moosewood cookbook original!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon other vegetable oil
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 cup peeled and diced carrot
- 1 1/2 cups diced potatoes
- 3 cups water or 3 cups basic light vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 ounces neufchatel cheese or 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1In a large soup pot on medium heat, sauté the onions in the butter and oil for 3 to 4 minutes.
- 2Stir in the celery, cover, and cook until just soft, stirring occasionally.
- 3Add the carrots, potatoes, water or stock, thyme, bay leaf, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil; then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes.
- 4With a strainer or slotted spoon, remove about 1 1/2 cups of the cooked vegetables and set aside in a blender or food processor.
- 5Add the green beans, bell peppers, and zucchini to the soup pot and cook until the green beans are tender, about 5 minutes.
- 6Stir in the peas and parsley, simmer for 2 more minutes, and then remove from the heat.
- 7Discard the bay leaf.
- 8Puree the reserved vegetables with the milk and cheeses to make a smooth sauce.
- 9Stir the sauce into the soup and gently reheat.
- 10Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Very Creamy Vegetable Chowder a la Moosewood
Serving Size: 1 (248 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 203.7
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 32.4 mg
- Sodium 618.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 8.3 g