1/1 Photo of Very Corny Corn Bread
This is a savory southern-style corn bread made without wheat flour. It's crusty and brown outside, light and moist inside. Can be made gluten-free by using GF certified corn meal, baking powder, bacon, etc. If using dried buttermilk powder, measure powder into dry ingredients, and use half milk and half water for liquid.
My Private Note
10 inch ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -4 tablespoons bacon fat or 2 -4 tablespoons shortening
- 2 cups regular yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 385 degrees F.
- 2Measure fat into a 10" cast iron skillet, and place in oven.
- 3Whisk together dry ingredients in large bowl.
- 4Add buttermilk, egg, and honey. Add bacon, if using.
- 5Whisk well until thoroughly combined.
- 6Pour half of hot fat from skillet into batter, stir well. Pour batter into hot skillet, top with freshly ground black pepper.
- 7Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until golden and crusty, and the center is firm and bounces back when pressed.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Very Corny Corn Bread
Serving Size: 1 (91 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.6
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 37.8 mg
- Sodium 1095.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: