Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I loved this recipe, it was so good. I did use fresh broccoli and steamed it until crispy soft. I didn't use as many potatoes, about 1 1/2 cups, I used about 1/2 cup carrots and added sliced mushrooms & chopped cooked chicken. I don't usually use/like recipes with canned soup or Velveeta BUT this was great. I gave some to my neighbor who only makes homemade scratch soups (as well as I) and she just loved it. I don't remember where I found this recipe but when I did it sounded so good that I printed it out. So glad I did. LOL
- 4 cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) package frozen broccoli florets
- 2 cups carrots (optional)
- 1 cup chopped onion (optional)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can milk (cream of chicken can)
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) Velveeta cheese
- Dice the potatoes, chop carrots and onion into small pieces. Dice the Velveeta into small cubes and store in the fridge.
- Pour 4 cups of water and 1-2 chicken bouillon cubes into a large pot, bring to a boil. Add potatoes, carrots & onions. After about 10+ minutes (original recipe said about 5 minutes, but the broccoli disintegrates if you put it in too soon) add the box/bag of broccoli.
- Cook about 15 minutes or until the veggies are done.
- Add the cream of chicken soup and one soup can of milk.
- Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes.
- Slowly add the Velveeta cubes while stirring.
- Cook, stirring often, until all cheese is melted (try not to scrape the bottom of the pan with your spoon as the bottom sometimes has a layer of browned soup, if you scrape it off you will get chewy brown bits in your soup!) Note: This is when I like to add my cooked chicken, mushroom and steamed broccoli.
- Serve with Italian bread for dipping. This soup is so thick and rich, you really don't need any side dishes, but I usually serve it with a salad.
- Leftover soup can be frozen or refrigerated.
This soup was just OK. In the end, it just tasted like Velveeta soup. I will keep looking for a broccoli cheese soup recipe.
I enjoyed this soup Pricilla. It was so easy to make and it was a great way to use up some veggies I had on hand. I omitted the chicken (but didn't miss it a bit) and used freshly steamed broccoli (in micro). I didn't have velveeta on hand but used a mix of American and Cracker Barrel Cheddar cheese. Thanks for posting! Roxygirl
Made this soup last night and my husband and I both enjoyed it! This really makes alot of soup - I had enough leftovers for us another meal and sent some home to my parents too. I used the "Oreida" frozen cubed hashbrowns, (which saves you from peeling and cutting potatoes) and I used fresh broccoli. Next time I'll take your suggestion and add some chicken, that would really be a great addition. Thanks for sharing a this recipe, I'll definitely make again.