Recipe by Susie in Texas
This banana bread is, without a doubt, one of the very best I have ever made. The loaves have a very nice deep color and a beautiful crumb. The secret is not the unusual liquid ingredient, the secret is slow baking. Oil makes this recipe parve, (thanks Mirj for explaining this to me & Chia and Miraklegirl for your help too).
Top Review by Ouisey
I made this yesterday morning and stuck to the recipe exactly. It turned out perfect. In fact, I wrapped one of the loaves and put a bow on it and took it to my sister-in-law's house for dinner last evening. She is an excellent baker and I would never take anything to her house unless I was very, very pleased with it. Thanks, Susie, this one will be made again at our house.
- 2 cups very ripe pureed bananas (approx. 6 bananas)
- 2 1⁄2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup oil (if your prefer, you may sub. melted, unsalted butter)
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Coca-Cola
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Spray two 9 X 5 inch loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using your food processor, puree the bananas, then remove the puree to another bowl and set aside.
- No need to clean the work bowl of your food processor, just add together and blend well the sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Takes about 1 minute.
- Measure and mix together, in a separate bowl, all the dry ingredients except the nuts.
- Return banana puree to processor work bowl.
- Add dry ingredients and blend, pouring in the coca cola as mixture is blending together.
- Blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Blend in nuts by hand.
- Divide mixture between the two loaf pans.
- Place loaf pans on a baking sheet in the oven.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes OR until loaves test done in the middle with a toothpick.
- Let cool about 10-15 minutes then turn loaves out of pans to finish cooling.
- These loaves keep well or can be frozen.