Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This banana bread is, without a doubt, one of the very best I have ever made. The loaves have a very nice deep color and a beautiful crumb. The secret is not the unusual liquid ingredient, the secret is slow baking. Oil makes this recipe parve, (thanks Mirj for explaining this to me & Chia and Miraklegirl for your help too).
- 2 cups very ripe pureed bananas (approx. 6 bananas)
- 2 1⁄2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup oil (if your prefer, you may sub. melted, unsalted butter)
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Coca-Cola
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Spray two 9 X 5 inch loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using your food processor, puree the bananas, then remove the puree to another bowl and set aside.
- No need to clean the work bowl of your food processor, just add together and blend well the sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Takes about 1 minute.
- Measure and mix together, in a separate bowl, all the dry ingredients except the nuts.
- Return banana puree to processor work bowl.
- Add dry ingredients and blend, pouring in the coca cola as mixture is blending together.
- Blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Blend in nuts by hand.
- Divide mixture between the two loaf pans.
- Place loaf pans on a baking sheet in the oven.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes OR until loaves test done in the middle with a toothpick.
- Let cool about 10-15 minutes then turn loaves out of pans to finish cooling.
- These loaves keep well or can be frozen.
I made this yesterday morning and stuck to the recipe exactly. It turned out perfect. In fact, I wrapped one of the loaves and put a bow on it and took it to my sister-in-law's house for dinner last evening. She is an excellent baker and I would never take anything to her house unless I was very, very pleased with it. Thanks, Susie, this one will be made again at our house.
I've been trying Banana bread recipes for more years than I care to remember, looking for the perfect one. I came across this one recently and have made it 3 times now ... excellent results each time. I always have trouble with my loaves falling, with a doughy centre, no matter how long I leave them in the oven ... don't know why. But not this recipe for some reason! I've shared the result with neighbours and have been asked for the recipe. I think I'll stick with this one from now on ... I'm not sure what the cola does, but I think the secret is the dark brown sugar. I just stirred all the dry ingredients together in a big bowl, and whizzed the bananas, oil, eggs, vanilla and cola up with a hand blender separately, them dumped all the liquid into the dry and gave it a good stir before pouring in to sprayed pans & baking. Thanks for this great recipe!
I cannot tell you how greatful I am to have found your recipe on this website. Everyone I know wants to thank you, it is absolutly outstanding.When I made it for the first time the flavor just exploaded in my mouth. I have tried alot of recipes but you certainly have the best one. Thanks again.