1/5 Photos of Very Berry Coffee Cake
Simple to make and a good way to use up leftover sour cream as it only calls for 3 tablespoons of it. You can mix and match berries or use all one kind too. Recipe courtesey Killahevlin Bed and Breakfast Front Royal, Virginia
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups fresh berries (frozen or thawed berries may be substituted ( try a combo of blueberries, blackberries, and raspberr)
- 1Spread solid shortening on bottom and sides of a 9-inch square pan.
- 2Position oven rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- 3Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- 4Set aside.
- 5Cream butter and sugar with electric mixer.
- 6Add eggs one at a time and beat until fluffy.
- 7Add vanilla and sour cream and mix well.
- 8Alternately, add flour mixture and milk to batter, beginning and ending with flour.
- 9Spread half the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- 10Spread berries (well drained) on top of batter.
- 11Cover berries with remaining batter and spread the top evenly with a spatula (some berries will show through).
- 12For Crumb Topping: Combine all ingredients and pinch them with fingertips to make crumbs.
- 13Spread on top of cake and bake for 30 to 35 minutes (metal pan) or longer if glass pan- or until a toothpick comes out clean and cake is golden brown.
- 14Cool cake completely (in pan) on wire rack.
- 15Refrigerate overnight and cut into squares.
- 16Serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Very Berry Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (72 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 269.1
- Calories from Fat 111
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 61.4 mg
- Sodium 189.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 22.4 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: