Recipe by Steve P.
Simple to make and a good way to use up leftover sour cream as it only calls for 3 tablespoons of it. You can mix and match berries or use all one kind too. Recipe courtesey Killahevlin Bed and Breakfast Front Royal, Virginia
Top Review by Bev
I made this cake this morning Steve, as soon as I read your response in "Request A Recipe". It looked just too good to resist. This coffee cake is just as fabulous as I thought it would be by reading the ingredients! Very easy to make with excellent results. I made this recipe using fresh blueberries and it tasted like a great big blueberry muffin.....only better! This will be a great coffee cake to make when we have guests or simply for my coffee cake cravings! Thank you so much, Steve for posting!
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh berries (frozen or thawed berries may be substituted ( try a combo of blueberries, blackberries, and raspberr)
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread solid shortening on bottom and sides of a 9-inch square pan.
- Position oven rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar with electric mixer.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat until fluffy.
- Add vanilla and sour cream and mix well.
- Alternately, add flour mixture and milk to batter, beginning and ending with flour.
- Spread half the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Spread berries (well drained) on top of batter.
- Cover berries with remaining batter and spread the top evenly with a spatula (some berries will show through).
- For Crumb Topping: Combine all ingredients and pinch them with fingertips to make crumbs.
- Spread on top of cake and bake for 30 to 35 minutes (metal pan) or longer if glass pan- or until a toothpick comes out clean and cake is golden brown.
- Cool cake completely (in pan) on wire rack.
- Refrigerate overnight and cut into squares.
- Serve at room temperature.