Prep 35 mins
Cook 3 hrs
An adopted recipe. Cooking time does not include soaking the beans overnight.
- 1⁄4 lb kidney bean
- 1⁄4 lb red beans
- 1⁄4 lb white beans
- 1⁄4 lb pinto beans
- 1⁄8 cup paprika
- 1⁄4 lb cranberry beans
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1⁄4 cup bell pepper
- 2 large onions, peeled, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup poblano pepper, ground, dried
- 1⁄3 cup garlic, minced
- 64 ounces tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup coriander seed, toasted ground
- 12 ounces beer
- 1⁄8 cup cinnamon, ground
- 2 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- In a large pot, soak the beans together overnight in water to cover.
- Drain and add fresh water to cover. Cook at a simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until beans are just tender.
- While the beans are simmering, heat a large skillet.
- Mince the bacon and cook it until it begins to crisp.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add all the spices and the ground Poblanos and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice and the beer.
- Simmer for half an hour.
- In another pan, cook the beef until the pink color disappears.
- Drain and add it to tomato mixture.
- When the beans are fully cooked, drain them, reserving the liquid, and add the beans to the meat/tomato mixture.
- Salt to taste and let the mixture simmer for about 1 hour or more.
- If it is too dry, add some of the bean liquid.