Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 40 mins
May substitute frozen biscuits for dumplings
- 1 large chicken
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, cut into eighths
- 3 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- herbs, as desired (such as thyme, rosemary, oregano, etc)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs, hard boiled and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups all-purpose flour
- Place chicken, celery, carrots, onion, garlic, salt and pepper and herbs in Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours. Remove from heat.
- Allow chicken to cool; shred.
- Strain broth and return to Dutch oven. If necessary, add water or additional (packaged) broth to make 2 quarts. Add soup, butter, and salt and pepper to broth. Return to a boil.
- Meanwhile, make dumplings: Place flour in large bowl. Add shortening and milk. Stir until moistened. Add more flour as necessary to make a soft dough.
- Roll out dough on floured surface and cut into strips. Drop strips into boiling chicken stock. Boil 2-3 minutes, stirring gently. Fold in chicken and eggs. Simmer 20-30 minutes.