1 hr 10 mins
Always wanted to try a tofu quiche to have a savory one-dish meal but feel that vegetarians really miss out on quiche? While I am not vegan, I hate eggs and an eggy taste but am trying to include more purely vegan foods in my diet so I came up with this delicious tidbit. You can cut prep time down drastically by using a pre-made 9" pie crust, Whole Foods sells some organic ones, but my pie crust recipe is yummy, vegan, and not that difficult. However, this does not use water-packed tofu like some tofu quiche recipes--google "mori nu firm silken tofu" to see what I am talking about, this is nifty tofu that does not require refridgeration when sealed. This uses up two little 12.3-oz packages. Because it does not require refridgeration, you can buy it in bulk on the internet if it's not available at a health food store or large supermarket nearby. I wanted to use it for its more pudding-like texture than water-packed silken tofu. You don't have to be vegan or vegetarian to appreciate the awesomeness of this recipe that uses no eggs; you can also use shortening or real butter in place of Earth Balance but I swear by EB. Feel free to use other veggies, spinach and mushroom is a quintessential classic (and one of my favorite pizza combos!) but I like finely chopped broccoli and shredded carrot too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 6 tablespoons earth balance vegan margarine
- 2 tablespoons plain unsweetened soymilk (approx- see directions, can use any type of nondairy milk)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 (12 1/3 ounce) packages mori nu firm silken tofu
- 1/4 cup plain unsweetened soymilk (or other plain non-dairy milk)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 dash turmeric
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 cup spinach, finely shredded (approx, I used broccoli first time I made it)
- 4 -5 white mushrooms (approx)
- 1To make the crust, whisk the flour, salt, and onion powder together in a large bowl.
- 2Cut in the Earth Balance (assuming you used a new stick and have a 6-tablespoon stick now) little by little, as if you're whittling off pieces, into the bowl.
- 3Stir in the olive oil and a little soymilk and knead by hand. Add soymilk as needed to make the dough gather together, and form the dough into a compact ball.
- 4Roll out onto a sheet of parchment paper. To make peeling it off easier, pop in the freezer for a few minutes.
- 5Lightly grease a 9" pie pan with a little olive oil, about 1 teaspoon or so.
- 6Roll the dough into the pan, crimping the edges at the top with a fork. Poke some holes in the bottom and sides with the fork to aerate.
- 7Bake at 450F for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned, extract from the oven and let cool while you make the filling.
- 8Wash the spinach or broccoli and run through a food chopper or processor/blender to get the finely chopped consistency, until you have roughly 1 cup.
- 9Wash the mushrooms and slice them.
- 10Put the tofu and soymilk into a large bowl, and beat with a hand mixer.
- 11Beat in the dry spices and nutritional yeast.
- 12Add the spinach and mushrooms, and whisk in by hand.
- 13Pour the tofu filling into the pre-baked pie crust.
- 14Bake at 400F for 40-45 minutes or until the top is browned. Let cool for 10-15 minutes prior to serving (or else the tofu will make a watery mess!) Cut into slices and serve. I like to eat mine with some extra nutritional yeast and black pepper!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Versatile Vegan Tofu Quiche (Even the Crust is Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (139 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 157.9
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 263.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 11.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: