Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 hrs
A great versatile beef recipe that is sure to please- - perfect for entertaining & potlucks!! Just put the roast in the crock pot in the early morning with your favorite seasonings (see variations below), and by afternoon you will have delicious melt-in-your-mouth beef, ready for a traditional sit-down roast beef dinner, or your favorite sandwich! Leftovers are fabulous!
- 1360.77-1814.36 g top round roast (or bottom round, brisket, or rump roast)
- 4.92 ml minced garlic
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml ground black pepper
- 1-2 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 (396.89 g) candiced mild green chilies (optional)
- Put sliced onions into the bottom of the crock pot.
- Place trimmed meat into crock pot. Top with minced garlic, salt, pepper, and the green chilies (if using, see variations below).
- Cover and cook on low 10 to 12 hours (high 5 to 6 hours), or until meat is tender and flakes easily with a fork, and onions are golden and caramelized. Please note that cook times may vary with different crock pot models.
- Remove beef to a cutting board or pan. At this stage you may slice meat in the traditional fashion and serve with mashed potatoes, gravy and vegetables for a traditional sit-down roast beef dinner, -or- shred the meat for sandwiches (see below). Shred meat using two forks, then use a slotted spoon to scoop out caramelized onions (and chiles, if using) and stir into the shredded beef mixture.
- Reserve some of the stock for au jus dipping, if desired. The remaining stock makes a great gravy (thicken with a little flour or cornstarch), or soup base, or save for another use.
- Italian Sandwiches:.
- Use a 10 ounce jar of peperoncinis (undrained) and a 1-ounce packet Good Seasons Italian seasonings in place of the green chiles & seasonings; serve with a slice of provolone on French or Italian mini-rolls.
- Barbecue Beef Sandwiches:.
- Substitute about 2 cups barbecue sauce for the mild green chilies; serve on buttered mini-rolls.
- -Or- serve meat in tacos with all the trimmings, or use for Easy Cheesy Beef Enchiladas #276142, or Big Thick Buttery Roast Beef 'n Cheddar Sammies #283972 -- the possibilities are endless.
- Leftovers are awesome, enjoy!
Love this! Made the barbecue beef. After cooking on high for 4 hours, I took the beef out and sliced it, then put it back in the crock pot to soak some of the sauce in. Delicious!!! Thanks for posting BecR
I need 10 stars for this recipe-used the Italian method using a chuck roast. YUM! I thought the 10 hours would never ends--the delicious smell drove us crazy! Thanks, Becky, will try the other methods as well.
This roast was delicious!! The house smelled wonderful all day. My family said this was a definate keeper!! I used it to make the sandwiches and we loved it. Thanks for the recipe.