Recipe by canthelpmyself
After many quinoa recipes that didn't really do it for me I think I've nailed it. This is by far the best quinoa recipe I've had. It's a combination of a few ideas and makes a yummy fluffy quinoa pilaf. Similar in texture to cous cous or rice. Tinned tomatoes can be used just make sure you have the 4 cups
Top Review by loof
What a terrific way to prepare quinoa! I used the Mediterranean option and added in the suggested chopped mushrooms. Served this as a side dish to grilled chicken but it could easily be a vegetarian main course served with a nice salad. Looking forward to trying the other variations - thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for Spring Pick-A-Chef 2013
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed
- 4 -5 cups of peeled tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 vegie stock cubes
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 190 celsius.
- Toast quinoa in pan until its dry and popping. Let it pop for a few minutes while keeping it moving in the pan. Pour into casserole dish with a lid.
- Puree the tomatoes, stock cubes and garlic in a food processor or blender until very smooth and creamy. You need exactely 4 cups of this mixture. If you don't have enough you can add a little water to make up the difference. Add this mixture to the quinoa.
- Sautee the onion until lightly browned and add to the casserole dish. Mix it very well, put the lid on and bake for approximately 45 mins to 1 hour until the tails of the quinoa are visible and the grain is translucent. Fluff with a fork.
- FOR Mexican quinoa; add 3 chopped jalapenos and 1 finely chopped green capsicum on top in the last 20 minutes Also add 1 tbsp of tomato paste to the puree in the blender. Plus 1/2-1 bunch of chopped cilantro mixed through once it's out of the oven.
- FOR SPICED QUINOA; Fry a couple of tbsps of your favourite curry paste with the onions and add 1 cup of frozen peas in the last few minutes of cooking as well as nuts such as cashews or sliced almonds and sultanas. Garnish with coriander.
- FOR MEDITERRANEAN: Add 2 stalks of finely chopped celery and saute with the onions. Add a dash of white wine. Add 1 tsp of dried oregano, 1 tsp of dried basil, 1 tsp of dried marjoram and 1 tsp of chili flakes and mix through before baking. Add 1/2-1 bunch of chopped parsley, 1/4 cup of fresh oregano and 1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil and mix through once cooked.
- Optional: 1-2 cups of chopped mushrooms well fried.
- Pine nuts.
- Fried eggplant.
- Finely chopped red capsicum.
- 1 cup of frozen peas.