Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A delicious and versatile meal made with a blend of sweet and hot Italian sausage. A true family pleaser. Can easily be doubled for more servings. Serve over rice or as a sandwich. It would even be yummy over butter pasta, or add a marinara sauce.
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fat free chicken broth, divided
- 1 lb trimmed and cut chicken breast
- 1 lb total of sweet and hot Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- Coat a large non-stick skillet with fat free cooking spray and heat pan on med-low setting. Add garlic and onion.
- Once onions are lightly browned, add chicken, 1/4°C chicken broth, both basil and oregano and increase heat to med-high. Cook chicken thoroughly, reduce heat, and cover.
- In a separate skillet, brown sausage. Once cooked, drain fat, remove from pan, and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Add sausage, peppers, and remaining broth to chicken and onions.
- Cook an additional 10 to 15 minutes. While occasionally stirring, salt and pepper to taste.
- This is great served straight from the pan over yellow rice, or even as a sandwich.
This was delicious, the whole family had seconds! We sprinkled parmesan cheese on top, no bread or pasta because we're trying to limit our carbs. It definitely looks like it would have been extra good with bread.
I must say that this recipe is delicious!! My youngest daughter Ashley ate a sandwich and a half. She absolutely loved it. We did have to take out the sausage for her because she does not like it. I used Italian rolls to serve this. Thanks jennyabs, I know what I will be taken tomorrow for my lunch at work.