Prep 1 min
Cook 5 mins
We use this on our pancakes and waffles but it could be used for crepes or ice cream too. It's very versatile as we've used blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and raspberries all with great success. We don't like our syrup runny either and it has just enough thickness to keep it from running off our plate.
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup berries, fresh or 1 cup berries, frozen
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and cornstarch.
- Gradually whisk in orange juice until smooth.
- Stir in berries and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
This is my favorite fruit syrup recipe. It is what I use every time I have waffles -- my kids still prefer the sugar based syrup. Thanks for sharing!