Prep 3 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a quick and pretty dessert to make, and has always gotten lots of compliments. Makes a excellent finale for a spicy entree. Pound cake may be substituted for Angel Food Loaf. ENJOY!
- 1 1⁄4 cups dried mixed berries (cherries, cranberries, blueberries,)
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup sugar or 1⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 2 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) angel food cake, loaf
- whipping cream
- In heavy saucepan, combine sugar, 1/4 cup orange juice and wine, heat over medium heat.
- When starting to bubble, immediately reduce heat to medium-low; add dried berries and raisins.
- Cook until fruit plumps, (about 10-12 minutes)stirring occasionally.
- Just before serving, add remaining orange juice; and thicken sauce by adding one half-one Buerre Manie: Recipe #117333, and stirring constantly, thickening to syrup-like mixture.
- If using food coloring, add and blend well. Add more orange juice if too thick. (Will thicken more as sauce cools)
- To serve, cut slices of loaf and place on individual plates.
- Spoon warm Verrry Berrry mixture over slices and top with whipped cream.
A really nice way to serve angel food cake. A delicious light dessert. I didn't really change a thing in the directions and it was pretty simple to fix! Thanks for sharing!