Recipe by Trixyinaz
I found this recipe on Ediets and loved it. Even my DH thought it was good. Not bad for another healthy, low fat, diet recipe. Serve as a main dish with Brown Rice or use it as a dip for chips or a side dish to compliment a Mexican fiesta
Top Review by Chef 920429
I made the recipe for the pick your chef game. I didn't realize until I started making that the recipe was for 1 serving!!So my DH got most of the dish.He says--fresher than my usual canned refried beans!! LOL.I used chicken broth instead of vegetable,only because I didn't have the vegetable broth. I did have to use an extra 1/3 cup of the broth,dryed out quickly. Thank you for posting.
- 1 1⁄4 cups pinto beans
- 1 clove garlic (I prefer 2 cloves)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium salsa
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop cilantro and mince the garlic.
- Rinse and drain beans to wash off excess sodium.
- Sauté garlic over medium heat in a non-stick skillet sprayed with Pam or other cooking spray- do not burn the garlic.
- Add the beans, vegetable broth and spices.
- Increase the temperature to medium-high and cook, covered, for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Mash beans with a fork or potatoe masher until just smooth or desired texture.
- Continue cooking for 3-5 minutes more, until thickened.
- Stir in salsa.
- Sprinkle fresh chopped cilantro on top and serve.