Prep 20 mins
Cook 14 mins
Do you love oatmeal cookies? This is the recipe for you. For a while there, my dad was asking me to make these cookies for him every other week. I swear he ate 1/2 the cookies in one night!!! Got this recipe from an very old cookbook that I found. Can't remember the name of it, but when I get home, I'll find out and add it to the comments. Enjoy!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 -2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Set aside.
- If you don't have a sifter, put all these ingredients into a bowl and"slice" through it with a knife several times and in all directions.
- Cream together shortening and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well.
- Blend in vanilla.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to creamed mixture.
- Stir in oats.
- If you want to add walnuts, stir them into mixture along with the oats.
- I usually use about 2 cups of nuts (I'm a nut FREAK).
- Shape into balls (I use a small melon ball scoop) and place on a greased cooking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes.
- Makes about 4 dozen depending on the size cookie you make.
These were great. I made both with and without walnuts. I liked them a little better with the nuts. It has quite a few items, but isn't really hard, and if you already have most of the stuff, it's no big deal. They were gone very quickly!