Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Easy tuna cake to make for my 3 yr old that she really enjoys and I do as well. Suggest only using the good chunk tuna as the flavor is not so fishy and the texture is more firm. She prefers extra cheese so amounts obviously can vary Olive oil can be subbed for egg but using mayo gives it an off taste. Hope you find it enjoyable as well.
- 1 (6 ounce) canchunk tongol tuna in water
- 1 medium egg
- 1⁄3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup good shaved parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (may need more for sauteeing)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Sauté minced garlic in olive oil till slightly browned; not burned.
- In mixing bowl, mix tuna, egg, cheese, breadcrumbs, basil and sea salt.
- Meanwhile, remove garlic from pan and add to tuna mixture; mixing everything well but trying to leave some chunks of tuna in tact.
- Form into patties of desired size.
- Sauté in pan of olive oil that garlic was sautéed in (may have to add more oil) until cakes are nicely browned on outside and crispy.
I tried it and this was fantastic. These are pretty much the exact ingredients I had in the house and this saved me a trip to the store today. The only thing I different was I added onion with the garlic saute' and I didn't have any breadcrumbs, so I put Ritz crackers in the food processor and voila! Thanks for posting.
This was a very easy recipe, and a nice change for tuna! I was trying to use up some things in our pantry, so this was perfect. I followed the instructions just as directed with 2 exceptions: I drained the water from the tuna and turned around and added very small amount fresh water. I had parmesan bread crumbs, so I measured out a heaping 1/3 cups of that and omitted the cheese. When I seared the tuna cakes, I added just a dab of extra virgin olive oil before cooking them, 1 min 30 sec on the first side, and 2 min on the second side (for 4 thin cakes).
I didn't know how good a tuna cake could be! I did tweak it some...I used chunk white tuna, added about 1/2 tsp. seasoning salt, 1 tsp. regular mustard, 1 Tbsp miracle whip, 1/2 tsp. oregano instead of basil, no sea salt, and a whole garlic clove instead of half. Oh, and I added one stalk of celery (chopped), and on carrot (shredded). So I guess I changed it a lot but the basic recipe stayed the same. Thanks so much!