Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe in my favorite cookbook to give to a co-worker for a pot-luck. Therefore, I have never made it so the prep time and cooking time is approximate. However, I can tell you that she brought it to work and it was to die for!
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 envelope active dry yeast (or 1/2 tbsp)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 cups sliced apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- PIZZA DOUGH: In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water.
- Sprinkle with yeast and let stand 10 minutes or until foamy.
- Stir butter in yeast mixture.
- Stir about half the flour and the pinch of salt into the yeast mixture.
- Gradually stir in enough of remaining flour to make a slightly sticky ball.
- Knead dough on a lightly flour surface until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and let rest 15 minutes.
- Punch down dough.
- Roll out dough into an 15 inch circle.
- Place on a greased pizza pan or pastry sheet.
- APPLE TOPPING: Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Sprinkle the apples with the lemon juice.
- Place the apples on the dough.
- Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Cut the butter into the breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle onto the apples.
- Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake in oven 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve hot.