Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
This is a wonderful casserole when you need to feed a crowd. It is very flavorful & has lots of veggies. I don't know who Verna Ross is: I got this recipe over 30 years ago, possibly from a Farm Journal cookbook, but I am not positive.
- 6 lbs chicken
- 1 onion, studded with
- 2 cloves
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 4 tablespoons oil or 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen peas, thawed
- 1 (29 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shell pasta
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, diced
- Cook chicken with onions, carrots, and 1 T salt in water to cover.
- When tender, remove and cool chicken.
- Cut meat into cubes.
- Strain and skim broth and reserve to cook the macaroni.
- Meanwhile, saute the chopped onion and mushrooms in the oil until limp.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix with vegetables and spices and cook for 5 minutes, breaking up tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Cook the pasta in the reserved broth, with additional water if necessary, till just al dente.
- Combine noodles, chicken, and vegetables, mixing well.
- Place in a 6 quart casserole and correct seasoning, if necessary.
- Sprinkle with crumbs& dot with cheese.
- Bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes or till nicely browned.
- Tip: I don't own a 6 quart casserole, so I just divide the food into 2 casseroles.