Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a decadent recipe, with classic French foundation. I am uncertain as to the source of this recipe, so if it is a direct copy of someone's, please forgive the unintended copy. This could be considered a "splurge" low-carb recipe, as it is high in fat. In keeping with the Medi Acute Phase / and low carb plans
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (incredible with skin, but higher fat)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2⁄3 cup dry vermouth
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth (or stock)
- 3 ounces goat cheese, soft and mild (( at room temp, prefer montrachet)
- 1⁄4 cup creme fraiche (or sub sour cream or a combo of 2T heavy cream and 2T sour cream- I used this mix)
- 1⁄4 cup chives, chopped (optional)
- ((((If desired for the non-low carbers eating w/ you- prepare 2 large red skinned potatoes, peeled, boiled in salted water until tender, about 15 minutes, drained and reserved- keep warm)))).
- Melt butter on medium in large heavy skillet.
- Season chicken w/ salt & pepper.
- Place skin side down in hot skillet, add onion and garlic. Cook skin side down w/out messing with it for about 8-10 minutes, skin should be brown.
- Turn chicken, cook 2-3 minutes more.
- Add vermouth and stock to skillet.
- Cover and simmer until chicken appears to be cooked through, 5-10 minutes, depending upon size of pieces.
- Transfer chicken to baking dish, set aside.
- (Preheat broiler for final step now- I use toaster oven broiler for this).
- Boil liquid in skillet until thickened to sauce consistency, about 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add goat cheese and stir 'til smooth and melted.
- Add crème fraiche or the substitute.
- Taste and season w/ salt and pepper.
- Broil chicken skin side up until browned, about 5minutes.
- To serve: place chicken on plate, top with sauce. For non low-carbers, place potatoes down first, then chicken on top of potatoes, then sauce on top of chicken.