Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Posted by request
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 350°; grease a deep round or oval 2-quart casserole; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, stir the two flours, sugar, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg together until well combined.
- In another bowl, combine the buttermilk and molasses; stir until blended.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture, add in the walnuts, and stir until well blended and smooth.
- Scrape batter into prepared casserole.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter and honey; drizzle over the batter.
- Bake about 45 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let the bread cool slightly, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To serve, cut bread into wedges.