Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This extremely flavorful stuffing makes enough to fill a 5 pound bird. From the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs (coarse)
- 1 cup chestnuts, cooked and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning or 2 teaspoons sage
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- Fry sausage and onion together until onion is golden.
- Combine bread crumbs, chestnuts, celery, parsley, and seasonings; mix with sausage.
- Add egg and sherry; mix thoroughly.
- If the mixture is not moist enough, add a little more sherry.