Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
My MIL makes this cake and I think it is awesome. Looks beautiful and tastes scrumptious.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 11 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 3 1⁄2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 -3 teaspoons maple flavoring
- chopped nuts
- In a small mixing bowl, add the first 6 ingredients; stir to combine and set aside.
- In a bigger mixing bowl, add sugar and butter; beat until creamy.
- Add eggs; beat for 2 minutes.
- Add in pumpkin, evaporated milk, water, and vanilla extract; beat until combined.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture.
- Spread mixture evenly into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until pick comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Turn cakes out onto wire rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting: In a large mixing bowl, add the cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar; beat until fluffy.
- Add the maple flavoring; stir to mix well.
- When the cake is cooled, cut each cake horizontally in half with long serrated knife.
- Frost cake between the layers and on top; leave sides unfrosted.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts evenly over top of cake.
This is a wonderful Fall/Winter cake. The spices are perfect and smell fabulous while baking. The icing is so perfect for this cake; the combination of pumpkin and maple is very "comforting"! Highly recommened.
This is such an incredible recipe. I originally came acrossed it on verybestbaking.com and after seeing all of the raves it got on there, I just had to try it for myself. This is my mother's birthday cake and we are having it tonight, but a little crumb fell off and she dipped it in some frosting. She then licked bowl clean! The frosting is sooo good and the recipe was very easy. I had never made a 4 layer cake before but I froze the pieces which made it much easier to slice. Thank you for a winner!