Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup vermont maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vermont maple sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon, zest of
- 1 pinch salt
- ice cream or whipped cream (optional)
- To make crust: In a large mixing bowl, blend together flour, sugar and salt with a fork.
- Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter.
- In a small bowl, beat together water, egg yolk and vinegar.
- Pour liquid over flour mixture and mix quickly with a fork (texture will be sticky).
- Using your hands, shape dough into a disc and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Remove from refrigerator; roll dough on a floured surface into a 12-inch circle, about 1/8 inch thick.
- Place in a 9-inch pie dish and trim to 1 inch over the edge of the pan.
- Fold under and crimp edge with fingers to make a high fluted border.
- Chill at least 30 minutes.
- To make filling: In a large bowl, whisk together all filling ingredients until smooth.
- Pour into chilled piecrust and bake about 35 minutes, or until edges are set but center jiggles slightly.
- Cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
The consitency was really great, but all I could taste was lemon. I'm going to try to make it without the lemon ingredients. I also just used a store bought crust.