Prep 45 mins
Cook 36 mins
King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup pure maple sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons maple extract, to taste
- 2 3⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons pure maple sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon maple extract
- Make the dough: in a big bowl, beat together the butter, sugars, cream of tartar, salt, eggs, baking soda, and maple extract until fluffy.
- Add the flour; beat until blended; refrigerate dough for about 30 minutes, to stiffen it and make it easier to shape.
- Make the coating: combine the sugars in a shallow bowl or pie plate, or in a large plastic bag.
- Drop the dough by the rounded tablespoonful into the coating, gently shake the pan to coat the balls, then roll them in your hands until they are smooth and round.
- Place the balls on baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray, about 1 ½ inches apart.
- Bake in a 400° oven for 10-12 minutes, until they are very light golden brown; remove them from the oven and after 5 minutes, transfer them to a rack to cool.
- Make the glaze: in a bowl, stir together the powdered sugar, maple syrup, cream, and extract to make a spreadable frosting.
- Spread a thin layer over the cookies; let the glaze dry for several hours before packaging the cookies for storage.