Recipe by pines506
Great maple flavor. Takes a little effort, but definitely worth it. Make sure to use real maple syrup in the glaze. This makes a nice light cake, almost like a chiffon.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 7 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons maple flavoring
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup real maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup toasted chopped walnuts (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl of electric mixer, combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix until blended.
- In another bowl, combine oil, egg yolks, water and maple flavoring.
- Turn mixer onto medium speed and add liquid ingredients. Beat 1 minute.
- In a large metal bowl (not plastic), beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add cream of tarter.
- Whip at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Pour egg yolk batter over egg whites.
- Fold together gently until blended.
- Fold in nuts.
- Pour into an ungreased 10-inch angelfood cake pan.
- Bake at 325F for 55 minutes. Increase temperature to 350°F Bake 10 minutes longer until top springs back when touched.
- Cool upside down (use a FULL 2 liter soda bottle for this).
- Remove from pan. Drizzle with glaze.
- Sprinkle with nuts.