Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Fiddleheads are ferns that one picks in the spring. Wash and clean them to remove the paper thin membrane that clings to the coiled fern (looks like the head of a fiddle - hence the name).
- 1 uncooked 9-inch pie shell
- 2 cups fiddleheads, coarsely chopped (can substitute broccoli or zucchini)
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (, sharp or mild)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk or 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon coarse mustard
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Precook piecrust in preheated 350-degree oven (prevents soggy crust).
- Saute fiddleheads and onions in olive oil.
- Put in precooked crust followed by cheese.
- Blend eggs, mustard, flour, half and half and pour into piecrust over other ingredients.
- Bake at 350-degree oven for 50 minutes.
- Pie is cooked when knife comes out clean when inserted in pie.
- Let set for 5 minutes or so before cutting.
- Serve hot, warm, or cold as you would quiche.
- (Real Vermonters DON'T eat quiche).
I loved this pie (quiche). Shared it with my co-workers and it disappeared. I checked it while bakin gfor only 35 minutes and it was done!