Recipe by MarieRynr
This recipe comes from a book called "American Harvest". With maple syrup, bacon and cheddar cheese, what's not to like!!
Top Review by Magpie63
I made this salad for a family holiday dinner -- I was looking for something interesting, but not too exotic. It was delicious -- the dressing is perfect! I used homemade croutons (made from potato rolls with a little garlic salt). I used maple-flavored bacon, which seemed like a good idea... but it made the maple flavor and sweetness a little overpowering.
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 slices uncooked bacon
- 1⁄2 lb mixed baby greens
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crouton
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare the vinaigrette, combine the syrup, vinegar, mustard, and garlic in a small bowl.
- Add the oil in a steady stream, whisking constantly.
- Season with the salt and pepper and set aside.
- Place the bacon in one layer in a skillet and set over medium heat.
- Cook, turning once or twice, until crispy, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towel and let cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the greens, cheddar cheese, croutons and the bacon.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the top and toss to combine.
- Place a neat mound on each plate and serve immediately.