Recipe by Julie B's Hive
Treat your friends by serving a great Vermont cheddar with chutney when enjoying a beer at your next BBQ or picnic. Use a Grafton Village, Shelburne Farms or a Cabot Creamery cheddar for best results. Cook time is cooling time in fridge. From Janet Fletcher's The Cheese Course.
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (12 ounce) bag fresh cranberries
- 2 lbs pears, peeled, quartered, cored, and diced
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 cinnamon stick (4-inch)
- 1 whole clove
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Toast the walnuts on a baking sheet until fragrant and lightly colored, about 15 minutes. Let cool then chop coarsely.
- In a 4-quart saucepan, combine the cranberries, pears, sugar, vinegar and ginger. Tie the cinnamon stick and clove in a piece of cheesecloth and add to saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat then adjust to maintain a simmer. Cook, uncovered, until the cranberries have collapsed and the pears are almost tender,15-20 minutes.
- Stir the raisins into the chutney and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the walnuts. When cooled down, remove cheesecloth bag and refrigerate the contents in a covered container.
- Divide the cheese into 8 equal portions and arrange on 8 dessert plates. Place a dollop of chutney alongside.