Top Review by ratherbeswimmin'
This is in my opinion the quintessential cheddar-potato soup. I love Vermont cheddar cheese. I followed your directions exactly. Felt no need to make any changes or additions. Rich, very creamy, and satisfying. Many thanks.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 lb Vermont sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
- 64 fluid ounces homemade chicken stock
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- nutmeg, freshly ground,to garnish
- additional Vermont sharp cheddar cheese, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 6-quart pot combine the butter and sauté the onions with the black pepper until the onions are tender.
- Add the potatoes and chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the cheese until melted.
- Carefully ladle contents and bay leaves into a food blender and puree until creamy.
- Return to the pot and carefully re-heat to serve.
- Garnish with fresh ground nutmeg and fresh shredded Vermont cheddar.