Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a simple, tasty, appetizer. Purchased puff pastry simplifies this flavorful starter. Bon Appetit 2002
- 1 3⁄4 cups finely grated sharp white cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (half of 17.3-ounce package)
- Roll out puff pastry on lightly floured work surface to 18x10-inch rectangle (pastry will be thin).
- Sprinkle 1/3 of cheese mixture evenly over half of pastry; fold plain half of pastry over cheese, forming 10x9-inch rectangle; press to adhere.
- Repeat 2 more times, rolling to 18x10-inch rectangle, sprinkling with 1/3 of cheese mixture, and folding.
- Roll out pastry again to 18x10-inch rectangle.
- Transfer to unlined baking sheet. Chill 30 minutes.
- Position 1 rack in top third and 1 rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 425°F
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut pastry crosswise in half, forming two 10x9-inch rectangles.
- Trim and discard uneven edges of pastry.
- Cut each rectangle crosswise into scant 1/2-inch-wide strips.
- Twist each strip a few times and place on prepared baking sheets, spacing 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch apart, dabbing ends lightly with water and pressing to adhere to parchment.
- Bake twists until golden brown, reversing position of sheets halfway through baking, about 10 minutes total.
- Cool twists on sheets. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover twists on sheets tightly with foil and store at room temperature. If desired, rewarm uncovered in 350°F oven until heated through, about 5 minutes.).
- Serve warm or at room temperature.