Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Found this a while back, I think it was on "i village" but am not sure. Have tweaked the recipe to suit our personal tastes. It is quick to throw together and is a nice side or main dish. We like it here.
- 3 medium leeks (About 1.25 lbs)
- salt, to taste
- fresh coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) package vermicelli or 1 (16 ounce) package spaghettini
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 bunches green onions, thinly sliced (Both green and white parts)
- 4 medium shallots, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed with garlic press
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth or 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half or 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 2 ounces blue cheese
- toasted almonds (Garnish) (optional) or toasted walnuts, finely chopped (Garnish) (optional)
- Cut off roots and leaf ends from leeks; discard any tough outer leaves.
- Cut each leek lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide slices.
- Place leeks in large bowl of cold water; with hand, swish leeks around to remove sand.
- Transfer leeks to colander. Repeat process, changing water several times, until all sand is removed.
- Drain well.
- Heat large saucepot of salted water to boiling over high heat; add vermicelli and cook according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a nonstick 12-inch skillet, melt margarine or butter over medium-high heat.
- Add leeks, green onions, shallots, garlic, both black & red peppers, and 3/4 teaspoon salt, and cook until vegetables are tender and golden, about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add broth, half-and-half and cheese; cook 1 minute.
- Drain vermicelli or spaghettini well; return to saucepot.
- Add leek mixture and toss well to coat.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- This dish would go well with a nice robust wine, a loaf of bread(so as to sop up the sauce)and sliced tomatoes with avocados.