Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This is a wonderful Indian snack or breakfast to have. We tried it two days back and all of us enjoyed it. The recipe was submitted by Laxmi Rajesh to the Thursday magazine dated Jan 6-12th'06 and won the Recipe winner of the week prize. Really trophy worthy, quick and easy and so yummy! Enjoy!!!
- 200 g vermicelli
- 2 liters water
- 100 g frozen green peas, defrosted
- 4 -5 tablespoons grated coconut (optional)
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon white Urad Dal, washed and soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
- 1 teaspoon channa dal, washed and soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
- 2 teaspoons green chilies, slit
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 sprigs fresh curry leaves, washed and torn
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, washed and chopped, to garnish
- 8 -10 cashews, dry roasted, to garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil vermicelli in 2 ltrs. of water in a pot for 5 minutes.
- Drain the water and keep vermicelli aside.
- Cut the vermicelli into smaller bits and keep aside. I used small bits of vermicelli, so this step was omitted. You get small bits of vermicelli in a bag in the shopping markets, so if you can get one of those, then use that for this recipe.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds and allow to splutter.
- Once they stop spluttering, add the dals and stir-fry for a few minutes till they turn brown in colour.
- Add turmeric powder and curry leaves. Stir-fry for 2 minutes on low heat.
- Toss in greenpeas and green chillies.
- Allow the greenpeas to cook.
- Once the peas are cooked, add the boiled vermicelli and coconut if using it. Mix thoroughly.
- Garnish with corriander leaves and cashews if using those.
- Serve hot.