Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a Mexican version of the old-fashioned chicken noodle soup.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces vermicelli, broken into pieces (fideo)
- 43 ounces chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 16 ounces salsa
- 1⁄2 lb cooked chicken breast, chopped
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat, add pasta. Cook stirring constantly for 3-4 minutes or until it begins to brown.
- Stir in broth, water and salsa, bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10-15 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Add chicken, cook for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
Nicely flavored soup. On hand ingredients will definately put this in my regular rotation. However, be aware that overnight it becomes much less than a soup and more like noodles with liquid. I did like it.
I did not expect this soup to be this wonderful. It's ingredients are simplistic but the combination is divine. I used Pace Hot Salsa and Alphabet Noodles. I also added a bit of sour cream to the top when I served it to cool the heat of the salsa. I have been sick for three days and this soup just cleared up my chest and i can breath! This is my new chicken soup for sick days!!! Try it! You will love it!
This was delicious. I didn't expect a lot, since there were so few ingredients. I cooked mine in the crockpot, and used bone- in chicken...removing it and shredding the chicken. I added some salt. Wonderful!