Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is one of the best pasta salads I've ever had. It can be enjoyed year round. It makes plenty and will keep for a long time in refrigerator if it doesn't get eaten quickly (which it will!)
- 1 lb vermicelli
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 1 jar pimiento
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 10 ounces Cracker Barrel sharp cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups frozen small green peas, unfrozen
- 3 -4 teaspoons dried tarragon, pounded in mortar with pestle or crushed with back of spoon
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- cayenne pepper
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups Hellmann's mayonnaise (it will thicken up when chilled)
- Break vermicelli in half and cook in boiling water for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from fire, cover and let stand 10 minutes.
- Stir well and drain in colander.
- Rinse in cold water, drain, and place in large mixing bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, lemon juice and grated onion.
- Mix well.
- Add remainder of ingredients.
- Taste and add more mayonnaise and seasonings if needed.
- You may want to add salt.
- Chill for several hours.
This was extremely bland. I made a double batch of this for our neighborhood 4th of July party. Very little got eaten. We kept it thinking it might be better the next day, but we ended up throwing it all out. Sorry JoAnn.